Read Full Text Of Buhari’s Inaugural Speech On Democracy Day
President Buhari Muhammadu spoke at the democracy day celebration at Eagle Square Abuja and promised to ensure that Nigeria remains a single entity and to build a viable economy.
The President also promised to develop Nigeria through agriculture and to form a formidable partnership with foreign countries.
Full text of Buhari’s speech below:
All Praise is due to GOD Almighty Who spared our lives to be present at this great occasion. We give thanks also that the democratic process has been further entrenched and strengthened.
2. Twenty years ago, a democratically elected government took over from the military in a historic transfer of political power for our country.
3. Today, we are privileged to mark the longest period of unbroken democratic leadership and 5th peaceful transfer of power from one democratically elected government to another in Nigeria.
4. Throughout the last four years, I respected the independence of INEC. I ensured that INEC got all the resources it needed for independent and impartial management of elections in the country.
5. All interested parties are agreed that the recent elections, which except for pockets of unrest, were free, fair and peaceful.
6. I thank all the people who worked for our party, who campaigned and who voted for us. I thank my fellow Nigerians, who, since 2003 have consistently voted for me.
7. Victory is your greatest reward; peace, unity and greater prosperity will be our collective legacy.
Your Excellencies, Fellow Nigerians,
8. I and Nigerians collectively must give adequate thanks to our Armed Forces, Police and other law enforcing agencies for working round the clock to protect us by putting themselves in harm’s way and defending our values and protecting our future.
9. Terrorism and insecurity are worldwide phenomena and even the best policed countries are experiencing increasing incidents of unrest and are finding things hard to cope.
God bless us all, and God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.